To practice graphic design process and principles, you will be individually designing a grayscale icon for a new app. You are not permitted to use any complete words.
Before your Week 3 labs (Sept 22/23).
5% of your final grade.
You will be working on this project for a couple of weeks, for which there are individual instructions.
Starting Week 1 (Sept 8/9)
In this week's lab you will be assigned one of the following app options, and will also practice brainstorming ways of representing it visually. The options are an app that:
- removes any videos of you from the internet
- informs you when you should go for a walk
- self-destructs your phone
- finds the closest endangered tree
- allows you to see into the past
- records the voice in your head
- writes your emails for you
- feeds your pet goldfish
For next week, you will be expected to:
- Use an additional ideation method from the Week 1 'Selections from Lupton - Graphic Design Thinking' reading to generate further ideas.
- Sketch (at minimum) 40 different ways of visually representing your app icon
Scan your favourite icon in grayscale to work with in next week's tutorial. If you need help scanning:
- Complete the Week 2 reading from 'Selections from Lupton - Type on Screen'.
Week 1 (Sept 8/9) deliverables to bring to your Week 2 (Sept 15/16) lab:
- demonstrated use of an ideation method from the Lupton reading
- minimum 40 different sketches for icon options
- 1 scan of your best icon
Starting Week 2 (Sept 15/16)
In this week's lab, we will critique your process thus far. Once done the lab, you will be expected to:
- Rework your sketches as necessary, and, or, continue working on your digital icon.
- Finalize your grayscale icon for you app, save it as a PDF.
- Collect, clearly label and scan all your process materials into a PDF process document.
Final deliverables are due to Canvas before your lab time on Week 3 labs (Sept 22/23).
- 1 process document (PDF)
- 1 submission sheet with your icon placed, printed (brought to lab)
Your project will be graded and weighed according to the following criteria.
- Process: Weekly deliverable checks (1pt)
- Ideation: Quality and quantity of idea generation (2pts)
- Final Design: Quality of design principles in communicating the application's purpose (1pt)
- Submission Quality: The process is clearly presented and labelled (1 pt)
Late or Problematic Submissions
Late submissions receive 10% per day after the original project delivery time. Problematic submissions - i.e. PDFs that we cannot open, or wrong files submitted - receive an automatic 25% deduction, with an addition of 10% per day until resubmission (after notification of the submission problem).